Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

Raul Miller wrote:

> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 01:18:51PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
>> You really need to look at an "as amended" copy of the act. One such
>> copy is at http://www.jenkins-ip.com/patlaw/index1.htm
>
> Thanks, that's a good reference, and the changes from the version I was
> looking at were... rather extensive.
>
> However, I don't see anything in that reference which lets a copyright
> license dictate terms of use.
>
> As near as I can tell, the GFDL can refuse to grant copyright permissions
> -- if someone uses technical measures to prevent others from reading
> or copying some GFDL document, then that person might lose the right to
> make further copies.  However, the GFDL can't revoke ownership of a copy
> which was obtained legally.

Correct.  I think that matches 'first sale' doctrine?  Unfortunately, it's
off topic.  The DFSG are intended to make sure that users of the Debian
system have a particular reasonable collection of rights, and the GFDL
apparently doesn't grant those rights, in that it doesn't grant the right
to make private copies and keep them private.