Re: VOCAL (Vovidia Communications License)

On Tue, 04 May 2004, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Does anyone know if the latest version of the Apache Software
> License still retains these terms?

No, thankfully Apache Source License v 2.0 ditched them for the more
sane (and more to the point) §6:

     6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade
     names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor,
     except as required for reasonable and customary use in describing the
     origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the NOTICE
     file.[1]

Which is probably what the license should have said in the beginning.

[We probably should really review Apache Source License v 2.0
sometime... §3 (patent reciprocity) and §4d (acknowledgements in the
NOTICE file) are two clauses that are near the border, and while I
think they're free, I'm interested in others opinions of them.[2]]

Don Armstrong

1: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
2: I know we discussed §3 when it was proposed, but it's
interesting... §4d may also be important to discuss, especially in the
context of droit d' auter and in the context of free documentation
licenses.
--
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on
society.

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu