Re: VOCAL (Vovidia Communications License)

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 04:46:12PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 09:26:10AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > >  * 4. Products derived from this software may not be called "VOCAL", nor
> > >  *    may "VOCAL" appear in their name, without prior written
> > >  *    permission of Vovida Networks, Inc.
>
> > This license appears to be identical to the Apache License, version 1.1,
> > with the names changed and clause 3 (an advertising clause) removed.  It
> > looks to be a DFSG-Free license.  Clause 4 makes it GPL-incompatible, so
> > be sure it doesn't link to any GPLed software.
>
> I wonder why we considered clause #4 to be free;

Carelessness, I suspect.

> it seems a little overreaching.

Yes.

> It prohibits code reuse with any projects with names like "Vocal Minority" or
> "Vocalize".  (This isn't an objection; just curiosity.)

Yes.

Does anyone know if the latest version of the Apache Software License
still retains these terms?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Sometimes, getting your patch in is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    just a matter of waiting for