Re: Fwd: reiser4 non-free?

On 2004-04-30 18:13:09 +0100 Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com> wrote:

MJ Ray wrote:
You just ignored the bit where he forbids supression of the "credits" banner?
I am flexible on the phrasing of this, and can allow some phrasing such as credits must be kept equally prominent and extensive.

Whether this would help depends what you mean by "credits". Requiring particular wording and placement beyond what is required to attribute probably will be non-free.

[...] This whole feud seems to have started because a debian package maintainer responded to a bug report
Said maintainer added a bug in the process of removing credits, and thus we found out the credits were removed. Your phrasing was not a good description

We can argue about who has the most diplomatic language all day, but it would be more fun to fix these bugs.

from a debian user and then they were accused of plagiarism in a confrontational response. Not really a sinister plot to steal Hans Reiser's work.
But others out there ARE willing to do so, look at RedHat and KDE.... or consider various startups I know of that are more than a bit slimy about things like squid.

I don't know what RedHat and KDE have to do with Debian and ReiserFS. I can look at them and I see red headwear and a cogged letter. Not really informative. "Various startups" also has little to do with debian, although if you discriminate against them just because they are startups, that's probably going to be non-free too.

Back to the topic: copyright infringement is copyright infringement. We don't want to infringe your copyright and if we do so, it is a serious bug to be fixed. See http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.