Re: LCC and blobs

Hamish Moffatt dijo [Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 04:26:26PM +1100]:
> Yet the ICQ client is not useful without a component which is not in
> Debian and in fact is not freely available.
>
> If the emulators were extended to be able to fetch some basic ROM images
> off the internet by themselves (eg via HTTP), could they go in main?

The blobs for the in-kernel drivers are not to be executed by the host
CPU itself, neither is the non-free ICQ, MSN or Yahoo servers
(although Gaim can be seen useful by itself as it works with IRC and
Jabber... Well, brain, please don't hijack my message ;-) ). They will
be run on the other side of the abstraction (call it bus or
network). The ROM for an Amiga, Atari or similar machine _does_ get
used directly by your PC's CPU.

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5554-9450
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23