Re: GPL, OpenSSL and Non-Free

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 02:21:24AM +1100, Paul Hampson wrote:
> However, non-free is not part of Debian (as per the social
> contract) so it would be OK to put GPL'd programs that
> depend on OpenSSL into non-free?

The GPL special exception doesn't care about "part of" vs. "not part of".

What matters there is "accompanies".

And, a number of web sites are configured with non-free accompanying main.
If we could guarantee that none of our mirrors accompanied main with
non-free, then it should be ok to put that kind of software in non-free.

--
Raul