Re: Is the xdebug's non-free license necessary?

Derick Rethans wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Josh Triplett wrote:
>>Package: php4-xdbg
>>  Xdbg is a debugging aid for PHP scripts.  It provides various debug
>>  information about your script...
>>  [further description]
>>  .
>>  The upstream version of Xdbg is called "Xdebug".  Since the Debian
>>  version may contain bugfixes, patches, or other differences from the
>>  upstream version, the Xdebug license requires Debian to use a
>>  different name.
>
> I am totally fine if people put it in distributions as php4-xdebug.
> AFAIK freebsd's ports already have this, and so will Mandrake in the
> forseeable feature. It would be silly of me to prohibit this, and this
> is what IMO the license never intended to prohibit.

Even if the Debian package contains differences from the upstream
version?  Your license only permits use of the name "Xdebug" for
unmodified versions; as stated above, Debian packages frequently contain
changes from the upstream versions.  (These patches are generally sent
upstream, but the Debian maintainer will often apply a patch without
waiting for a new upstream version containing that patch.)

>>Also note that the requirement to change the product name presumably
>>does not extend to the actual module names and file names used in the
>>package; those should be unchanged, so that PHP scripts which require
>>Xdebug still work.
>
> Of course, it would be "madness" if those are changed.

Glad to hear that. :)

- Josh Triplett