Re: LCC and blobs

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 08:02:28PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 04:42:23PM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > Contrib exists for software dependencies.  This is not a software
> > dependency issue.  There is no direct relationship between firmware and
> > drivers.
>
> I don't see how you can say there is no direct relationship between
> firmware and drivers, when it's most often the driver that opens the
> firmware blob, possibly does some parsing, and uploads it to the device.
[...]

I was referring to firmware that is loadable in userspace.  Firmware
like that which you describe, or firmware that is encoded in C files in
the kernel source is much more dubious.  Due to GPL restrictions, I
believe that sort of firmware will all have to be moved to userspace.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!