Re: turck-mmcache license violation?

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 08:12:42PM -0200, cascardo@minaslivre.org wrote:
> One could claim that php4 is part of the operating system, just like
> they do with OpenSSL. That is nuts!

The phrase "unless that component itself accompanies the executable" means
that Debian can never make use of that exception, nuts or not.  The
"component" always accompanies the executable within a Linux distribution.

> I'd just like to say that I think the if one line is to be crossed, that
> should mean that we should ask for the author permission, which would
> make the license non-free.

It's fine to ask for explicit permission to link a GPL application against
specific GPL-incompatible code, as long as the permission isn't specific to
Debian, is properly phrased, and comes from all copyright holders of the
work in question.

--
Glenn Maynard