Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

glenn@zewt.org wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 12:27:09PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> >In cases where firmware is basically indistinguishable from hardware,
>> >we treat it as hardware, and not as software.
>> Really? Which part of policy states this?
>It's very interesting how quickly people who fail badly at backing their
>arguments on principle fall back to using Policy as a stick--despite the
>fact that the governing document here is the Social Contract, which I should
>hope still takes precedence over policy ...
I explained my principles at the beginning of the discussion, and I do
not feel the need to state them again because they are not relevant here:
even if some people like to use it to invent new rules they think should
be applied to debian, debian-legal is not the right place to update or
augment the policy and social contract.
I refer to policy because it's the document which explains how the SC
should be applied, if it fails this job then it has bugs and you are
encouraged to point them out.

(I'm obviously happy to see you resorting to ad hominems as it probably
means you have no more arguments.)

--
ciao,
Marco