Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> There is no "contortion of logic" involved in the conclusion that the
> Social Contract is only talking about the stuff that Debian ships (or
> is logically capable of shipping), and not the physical hardware that
> stuff runs on.

Argh. Yes, but the firmware in these eeproms is something that we're
entirely logically capable of shipping. Claiming that firmware is
sometimes software (when it's on a compact flash card, say) and
sometimes hardware (when it's on an eeprom, say) is the sort of argument
that the social contract changes were meant to deal with. If it's a
string of bits encoded on something, we're meant to apply the DFSG to
it, not argue about whether it's software or not.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org