Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> wrote:

> So your argument is, in effect, that because we can't ship DFSG Free
> computers (I mean, the system "requires" them after all) then we
> should just give up and go home?
>
> Or are you trying to say that because we can't satisfy SC 1 for
> hardware, we should also ignore it for software?

No. My argument is that the social contract is unclear and should be
altered. A strict interpretation of it implies that we can't produce a
useful operating system - since Debian exists in order to provide a
useful operating system, we need to change that implication.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org