Re: Preferred license for forums content - Part II

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Sebastian Feltel wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 23:32:17, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > It probably isn't legitimate to claim a license in this manner in most
> > jurisdictions anyway. You normally need an explicit grant from the
> > copyright holder (while there are some case-law precedents in some
> > places for certain forms of implicit licensing, they're lawyer-bait
> > and not something to be relied upon).
> You are probably right, but what other options do I have? Asking all
> Users which have posted (~5000 Users, ~200000 Postings) will be an
> endless task. I think writing an Note in the "Post a Topic"-Page
> which states the licensing situation will be adequate. So everyone
> who dont agree to the new license can stop posting and/or writing
> "My Post is licensed under ...." under his posting.

You really want some sort of tacit assent though. Like a checkbox or
simlar that people have to check to indicate that their post is
licensed under a specific license.[1] Implicit assent is pretty weak.

You also may consider having some sort of form where users who have a
login can mark their previous posts as being licensed under the
MIT/X11 license in adition to whatever license they were using

Don Armstrong

1: I see no reason why you couldn't have this as part of the account
settings for registered users, so long as it was obvious what they
were agreeing to do.
Frankly, if ignoring inane opinions and noisy people and not flaming
them to crisp is bad behaviour, I have not yet achieved a state of
 -- Manoj Srivastava in 87n04pzhmh.fsf@glaurung.internal.golden-gryphon.com