Re: Academic Free License 2.1 -- free or not?

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:05:08 +0200 Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:

> > > When accepting the terms
> > > of the GPL, I also must give up certain rights about warranties
> > > that I normally expect to have.
> >
> > I didn't see that way: I saw the disclaimer of warranty as a
> > declaration(valid even if I don't accept the license and I merely
> > use the piece of software without copying, distributing or modifying
> > it).
>
> I think it's a part of the GPL and not just a declaration about a
> factual situation. I wonder what warranties I could claim if I
> do not accept the license.

So do I.
Which warranties do I loose by accepting the license?

> The software was legally distributed
> to me, and that gives me some entitlements under copyright law.

Which ones?
Please explain (IANAL, hence I'm not so knowledgeable...).

> > If the law says the warranty *may* be disclaimed and the software
> > has this disclaimer attached, I'm warned that there is no warranty:
> > I loose no right in accepting the license, as I didn't have any such
> > right in the first place.
>
> I'm not even sure if the issue of warranties is relevant to
> freedom of software. Even without any warranty you can always use,
> modify and distribute the software.
>
> And if it breaks, not only do you get to keep the pieces,
> you get to fix it!

That is more or less what I was thinking...

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4