Re: Reproducible, precompiled .o files: what say policy+gpl?

"John H. Robinson, IV" <jaqque@debian.org> writes:

> The only difference is in *performance*. If there are other differences,
> then there is a bug in one of the two compilers. If you are equating
> performance with functionality, then we are going to have a very hard
> time communicating.

This is not true.  The program may depend on the details of how a
compiler in fact works (for example, how structure members are
packed).  Such a thing might be a bug, but it is there nonetheless,
and is not a compiler bug.

And if the binary in the archive was made by some other tool, then
debugging resulting problems is a nightmare.

Thomas