Re: firmware status for eagle-usb-*

Martin Braure de Calignon <braurede@free.fr> - Sat, Oct 09, 2004:

> I wanted to know if the binary files in the
> eagle-usb-{utils,data,source} package are free.
> When I get the source of the package (apt-get source), there is a
> LICENSE file in the root directory which says that the package is GPL.

 I've discussed this with the maintainer of eagle-usb-* packages a while
 ago, and he explained to me that Sagem (upstream for the linux driver
 and firmware) had released the tarball in two versions, the first one
 being clearly unclear about the licensing of binary files.
   The second release of Sagem, which was done thanks to the efforts of
 Pierre Machard to clarify the situation with Sagem, includes a clear
 statement that all files in the packages are under the GPL, even the
 binary firmware.

 [ Pierre Machard was kind enough to send me the mails he exchanged with
 people at Sagem, but since they're in french, I'm afraid you wouldn't
 want me to forward them to the list.  You seem to be a native french
 speaker, so I might send them offlist -- if you want. ]

 If you wonder wether the sources of the firmware are distributed, I
 think they aren't.  But I think this is a different program we are
 talking about.
   The program "act as a firmware to drive the F@st 800 modem" could
 have been put as a program under the GPL, but I think the firmware data
 itself is under GPL for its use in the program "Sagem drivers for the
 F@st 800 modem" -- ie the linux driver and utilities.  You can
 redistribute the binary firmware freely under the terms of the GPL, as
 you would with a logo for example.

   Regards,

 [ I'd prefer Pierre Machard discussing this himself, but he still needs
 some rest.  I wish he'll be back real soon now!  For now, I'm afraid he
 doesn't follow lists too much. ]

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>