Re: Reproducible, precompiled .o files: what say policy+gpl?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 12:37:45AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> No, that's not true.

It seems to me -- at least in the context of what Debian distributes and
calls "Main" -- that this assertion conflicts with the first section of
the social contract.

I'm interested in your reasons for making this assertion.

If your point is that it's possible build software whose source is
in main using compilers which are not in Main, I'd agree with you.
However, I don't see any reason to consider the resulting builds to be
a part of main.

> Wesley's software can be built using software in main. It will not be as
> fast, but it will still do its job, flawlessly, without loss of
> features, with the ability to modify the software to better meet one's
> needs if so required.

I have no disagreement with this statement.

> > The GPL doesn't restrict anything you are describing, as long as the
> > source is available alongside.
>
> Nor does Policy.

Are you ignoring the social contract?  Or, when you talk about "Main",
are you talking about something other than the packages we distribute
in the "Main" section of our archives?

Thanks,

--
Raul