Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 12:57:57PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
>> Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
>> > The vendor then produces a second revision of the hardware. It uses the
>> > same driver, but this time the firmware is on an eeprom. By your
>> > argument, we are then free to move the driver to main.
>
>> I disbelieve.  It's not the same driver.  This one doesn't have the
>> loadable firmware support, and does support operation without first
>
> Sure it does.  Rather than write a completely new driver the vendor
> modified the existing driver to do appropriate things for both revisions
> of the hardware.  They may even have arranged things so that their newer
> hardware has the same firmware download interface, just with a default
> image provided on board.

Again, that looks like it would weaken the Depends to Suggests, and
allow moving the driver from contrib to main.  I don't think you can
describe this difference between loadable and built-in firmware in a
way which doesn't match the contrib/main distinction, and I think
perhaps that means something.

-Brian