Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

On Mon, 2004-11-10 at 20:14 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Oct 11, Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > > I think it's a question of what "dependence" means for contrib. If the

> I still cannot see anything in policy which would support the above
> statement. Can you make your reasoning explicit?

Are we having an argument, or are you asking for information? Don't
forget that the Socratic method is so annoying the Greeks poisoned
Socrates for it.

Anyways, here's the relevant quote:

	"Examples of packages which would be included in contrib or
	non-US/contrib are: [...] free packages which require contrib,
	non-free packages or packages which are not in our archive at
	all for compilation or execution, "

As I said, there's some wiggle room on what "require... for compilation
or execution" means. But not a lot.

I think you'd like to make the point that kernel drivers that depend on
firmware flashed to an eeprom are functionally equivalent to kernel
drivers that depend on firmware blobs that are uploaded at runtime. I
don't have much opinion on this.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org>