Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

On Mon, 2004-11-10 at 01:50 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> >Probably the right question to ask is: is there any chance to use the
> >driver without touching the non-free firmware (nor any other non-free
> >stuff, for that matters)?

> Can you quote which part of the policy describes this criteria?

I think it's a question of what "dependence" means for contrib. If the
driver absolutely _depends_ on using the non-free firmware, it should be
in contrib. If the non-free firmware is optional, it should go into
main.

Of course, there's shades of gray, here. If all the driver does is emit
a message CAN'T FIND NON-FREE FIRMWARE, ABORTING without the firmware,
it's hard to say that it doesn't depend on the firmware. But if the
mainline functionality works without the non-free part, and the
firmware's just needed for "extra" stuff, then it might be a candidate
for main.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org>