Re: most liberal license

> If you want a public-domain-equivalent license, write something like this:
>
> (Some credit goes to Anthony DeRobertis. I've been trying to refine
> this; it would be nice to have a 'standard' one.  Ideally we'd get a
> 'sounds good' from at least one common-law and at least one civil-law
> lawyer.)
>
> --
> I hereby grant to everyone (any person whatsoever) a perpetual,
> irrevocable, royalty-free license to modify, use, copy, distribute,
> perform, and/or sell this work (modified or unmodified); and to exercise
> any other rights (present or future) regarding this work which are
> exclusive to me (or my successors or heirs) under law, to the fullest
> extent possible under the law.
>
> It is my intent that this work be treated as if the work had entered the
> public domain, or been ineligible for copyright.  The license grant
> above is designed to acheive this goal in as many jurisdictions as
> possible.  If it is possible, I dedicate this work to the public domain.
>   If it is possible, I relinquish my copyright in the work.
> --

That looks pretty nice. I think, I will stick to that, if I don't get
any futher suggestions. Although I still like my initial draft, because
it avoids all enumerations.

> There's additional language in the Creative Commons public domain
> dedication which might be useful when adapted, because it spells out
> "No, I really know what I'm doing!":

No, I won't include the following. I don't want to pay tribute to those,
who blur law by pretending to lack common sense.

> A dedicator makes this dedication for the benefit of the public at large
> and to the detriment of the Dedicator's heirs and successors. Dedicators
> intend this dedication to be an overt act of relinquishment in
> perpetuity of all present and future rights under copyright law, whether
> vested or contingent, in the Work. Dedicator understand that such
> relinquishment of all rights includes the relinquishment of all rights
> to enforce (by lawsuit or otherwise) those copyrights in the Work.
>
> Dedicator recognizes that, once placed in the public domain, the Work
> may be freely reproduced, distributed, transmitted, used, modified,
> built upon, or otherwise exploited by anyone for any purpose, commercial
> or non-commercial, and in any way, including by methods that have not
> yet been invented or conceived.
> --
>
> Anyone else want to work on a 'public domain equivalent license'?
>
> Hope this helps,

Yes, indeed it does.

> --Nathanael Nerode

Harald