Re: Re: most liberal license

If you want a public-domain-equivalent license, write something like this:

(Some credit goes to Anthony DeRobertis. I've been trying to refine this; it would be nice to have a 'standard' one. Ideally we'd get a 'sounds good' from at least one common-law and at least one civil-law lawyer.)

--
I hereby grant to everyone (any person whatsoever) a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free license to modify, use, copy, distribute, perform, and/or sell this work (modified or unmodified); and to exercise any other rights (present or future) regarding this work which are exclusive to me (or my successors or heirs) under law, to the fullest extent possible under the law.

It is my intent that this work be treated as if the work had entered the public domain, or been ineligible for copyright. The license grant above is designed to acheive this goal in as many jurisdictions as possible. If it is possible, I dedicate this work to the public domain. If it is possible, I relinquish my copyright in the work.
--

There's additional language in the Creative Commons public domain dedication which might be useful when adapted, because it spells out "No, I really know what I'm doing!":

A dedicator makes this dedication for the benefit of the public at large and to the detriment of the Dedicator's heirs and successors. Dedicators intend this dedication to be an overt act of relinquishment in perpetuity of all present and future rights under copyright law, whether vested or contingent, in the Work. Dedicator understand that such relinquishment of all rights includes the relinquishment of all rights to enforce (by lawsuit or otherwise) those copyrights in the Work.

Dedicator recognizes that, once placed in the public domain, the Work may be freely reproduced, distributed, transmitted, used, modified, built upon, or otherwise exploited by anyone for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, and in any way, including by methods that have not yet been invented or conceived.
--

Anyone else want to work on a 'public domain equivalent license'?

Hope this helps,
--Nathanael Nerode