Re: GFDL and Debian Logo

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS schrieb:
> Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu>:
>> The Debian Open Use Logo is not compatible with the GFDL.  If fair use
>> is really that limited in Germany, then the German wikipedia is going
>> to have to purge all logos.  I doubt that any have anything
>> approaching a free license.
>> As a comparison, the English entries for IBM and HP have their logos,
>> while the German entries do not.  So at least that is consistent.
> Perhaps I'm being thick here, but what legal difference does the
> language make? Doesn't the German Wikipedia use the same licence as
> the English Wikipedia, and aren't they both accessible in Germany?

All wikipedias use the GFDL :-(

The English community, however, accepts "fair use" images. The German
community does not. For obvious reasons there are a lot of American in
the English community but only a few in the German one.

Although the wikipedia-servers are in America someone in Germany
may get in trouble if he or she uploads images to a public server or
uses them against the German law. As most people do not care about
licenses the German community has "decided" to require GFDL or public
domain. And of course the German Wikipedia should be free (ignoring the
issues of the "GFDL without invariant sections").

Hendrik