Re: GFDL and Debian Logo

Hendrik Brummermann <HendrikUsenet@nexgo.de> wrote:
> Sorry, I pasted the mail into the subject line by accident. Here is a
> secondy try:
>
> Hi,
>
> there is a discussion in the German Wikipedia whether the Debian Open
> Use Logo <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Debian_logo.png> may be
> subjected to the GFDL. The German Wikipedia does not accept any content
> not licensed as public domain or GFDL (e. g. no "fair use" because this
> is an American law only).

The Debian Open Use Logo is not compatible with the GFDL.  If fair use
is really that limited in Germany, then the German wikipedia is going
to have to purge all logos.  I doubt that any have anything
approaching a free license.

As a comparison, the English entries for IBM and HP have their logos,
while the German entries do not.  So at least that is consistent.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu