Re: GFDL and Debian Logo

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 07:57:40AM +0200, Hendrik Brummermann wrote:
> there is a discussion in the German Wikipedia whether the Debian Open
> Use Logo <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Debian_logo.png> may be
> subjected to the GFDL. The German Wikipedia does not accept any content
> not licensed as public domain or GFDL (e. g. no "fair use" because this
> is an American law only).

Wikis are still using the GFDL?  That's discouraging, considering how
badly broken it is; given the number of flaws that have been found in
it, it's discouraging that any rational person would use it for anything
at all.

> >> This logo or a modified version may be used by anyone to refer to the
> >> Debian project, but does not indicate endorsement by the project
>

> As far as I understand this sentence, the logo may not be used for other
> things and is not "free" according to the GFDL. The "possible copyright
> violation notice", however, was removed by the uploader today.

The GFDL is a license; it's not something used to determine freeness.
The DFSG does that.  Are you mixing up abbreviations?

--
Glenn Maynard