Re: Open Software License v2.1

Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> (Wait.  I thought of a case: suppose the patent license requires
> a statement of credit -- and that's considered free -- and joe-rsa doesn't
> contain the credit statement.  Then the RSA patent holders would sue to
> enforce their free patent license, and lose their free copyright
> license.... hmm, that could actually be a problem).

That's merely a statement that licenses can be incompatible; the same
issue arises when attempting to combine code under different copyleft
licenses.  In any case, you are attempting to force a piece of Free
Software to include an additional restriction; therefore, you should not
be able to distribute the software.  The GPL would have basically the
same effect as well: even if suing did not remove your permission to
distribute, you could not distribute the software with a requirement to
include the credit clause added to the license.

> Suppose instead that the RSA patent holders hold only illegitimate patents.
> Then the patent-retaliation clause is very clearly in the best interests of
> free software, and the license is Free.

Agreed.

> In other words, the patent-retaliation clause only imposes a burden in the
> cases where
> (a) the work is already non-free for other reasons
> or
> (b) the people being burdened are being abusive
> (Barring the case I just thought of above, which might be an actual
> problem.)
>
> Accordingly, it is acceptable in a free license, no?

I agree with this analysis.

(I also believe that your case of software covered by "a legitimate
patent" is the empty set, assuming a distinction between legitimate and
legal, but nevertheless, the analysis holds.)

- Josh Triplett