Re: Open Software License v2.1

Andrew Suffield wrote:
> Distribution of binaries without source is intrinsically bad for free
> software. Distributing source with binaries is not appreciably
> difficult or limiting; this requirement is trivially accomplished
> without any real cost.
>
> Lawsuits are not intrinsically bad for free software.
On the other hand, lawsuits attempting to enforce "patents" on software
*are* intrinsically bad for free software.

> Prohibiting
> lawsuits is significantly limiting
Prohibiting lawsuits which apply software patents to the specific licensed
work, on the other hand, is not significantly limiting....

> and imposes real, significant
> costs.
...and doesn't impose real, significant costs.  If you disagree please name
the real, specific costs.  Also specify: are you assuming that there exist
valid patents on abstract mathematical algorithms (a.k.a. software
patents)?  'Cause I don't think they exist; mathematics is not supposed to
be patentable.

--
This space intentionally left blank.