Re: GPL-licensed packages with depend-chain to OpenSSL

Greetings Debian-legal, (I've just started subscribing to this list.)

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 13:42:21 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 04:56:00PM +0200, Claus Färber wrote:
> > If we follow this interpretation, this means that you can't distribute
> > an closed source OS with GPL tools. IMO, this was not the intention of
> > the GPL authors.
>
> Of course it was.  The GPL is about advancing the cause of a wholly free
> operating system; giving free operating systems a competitive advantage
> over non-free operating systems that happen to provide free tools is
> precisely in line with the goals of the framers.
>
> And while you're free to doubt that this was the intent, this is
> nevertheless what the letter of the license encodes.

Caveat, mere aggregation:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

What is the  difference between "mere aggregation" and "combining two
modules into  one program"?

Mere aggregation of two programs means putting them side by side on
the same CD-ROM or hard disk. We use this term in the case where they
are separate programs, not parts of a single program. In this case, if
one of the programs is covered by the GPL, it has no effect on the
other program.

[...]

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall