Re: GPL-licensed packages with depend-chain to OpenSSL

Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> schrieb/wrote:
> What's in a normal Debian install doesn't matter, because it all gets
> distributed together on mirrors and in cd-packs.  There's a very
> specific phrase used to keep MS and Sun from shipping Emacs with their
> proprietary libc: "unless that component itself accompanies the
> executable."

If we follow this interpretation, this means that you can't distribute
an closed source OS with GPL tools. IMO, this was not the intention of
the GPL authors. If you have to distribute the component with the GPL
software, this is a sign that it's not universally available on the
operating system. However, if you are distributing an OS...

Well, we should not think: "openssl accompanies $tool-ssl" but:
"$tool-ssl accompanies Debian which also includes openssl (or a
compatible SSL library)".

Claus
--
http://www.faerber.muc.de