[gnu.org #209128] Does the "GPL version choice" impact GPL-compatibility?

Response from David Turner, forwarded with permission.  As noted, please
keep the ticket number ("gnu.org #209128") in the subject line if you CC
licensing@gnu.org with responses.  I havn't added them to the CC of this
forward, since I don't want to bother them with mails not intended to go
to them (especially since this is likely to tangent back to the QPL)--if
you want to reply to them, add them explicitly.

I've split this from the existing thread so it doesn't get lost in the
noise.

--
Glenn Maynard
--- Begin Message ---

You may repost this to Debian-legal, but please note that replies should
have this ticket number in the subject line.

A careful reading of section 9 should address these concerns:

If the Program specifies a version number of this License which applies
to it and ``any later version'', you have the option of FOLLOWING THE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS either of that version or of any later version
published by the Free Software Foundation.
[emphasis added]

This clearly permits works under v2plus to be combined in any way with
v2only works.  The distributor of the end work can do so by following
the terms and conditions of GPL version 2.  That parts of the work (and
the work as a whole) can only be distributed under version 2 of the GPL
does not constitute an additional restriction under section 6 of the
GPL, because section 9 is part of the GPL.

If you're distributing a modified version of a v2plus file under v2only,
you should change the notices in the file.  People who want the v2plus
version (without your improvements) can probably find it.  You should
not change v2plus notices on files that you have not altered -- it's
true that in this context, they're v2only, but when distributed
separately, they're v2plus.  You're not a copyright holder on these
files, so you would be falsely describing the copyright holder's actual
permissions.

It may be the case that some people, who wish to distribute under v2plus
terms, will reject modifications which are under v2only.  This is a
shame, but the alternative (that is, that all works derived from v2plus
works must be v2plus) effectively creates two incompatible licenses.

>From an ethical perspective:
I (personally) am a licensor of a few works under v2plus.  I would be
disinclined to accept patches under v2only.  It's simple politeness to
go with whatever license upstream is using, so long as it's not heinous,
or to choose a less restrictive license.  So, I would see nothing wrong
with contributing v2plus code to a v2only codebase.

--
-Dave Turner
GPL Compliance Engineer

--- End Message ---