Re: Suggestions of David Nusinow, was: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 11:34:43PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> >I see no connection between this paragraph and the real world. Most of
> >the people on -legal who participate in the important stuff are also
> >critically short of time and tend to skip over useless threads. Most
> >of the useless threads are the responsibility of "outsiders" who just
> >won't listen, and who would rather argue a point than do anything
> >about it (even when action is easier than arguing about it). So if we
> >assume the rest of your argument holds true, the most you can say
> >about that is that they're a (perhaps unintentional) effort to
> >sabotage the work of -legal.
>
> Simple question: what do you think _is_ the "work of -legal"?

License analysis.

> >"Extreme views" here is a meaningless term and an tasteless attempt at
> >demagoguery. I've tolerated it this far, but enough is enough; please
> >grow some manners. The validity of a viewpoint is not determined by
> >how close it comes to some end of an arbitrary scale.
>
> Manners? From you? Ha!

No, from you. I have never knowingly violated my concept of good
manners. You just did it twice.

> >Why do you *think* we always tend towards the paranoid viewpoint? You
> >seem to be arguing at cross-purposes with yourself now; the objection
> >is that we classify too much as non-free or non-distributable, and yet
> >you argue that our approach is invalid because we might accept
> >something as free that we *shouldn't*?
>
> So, at what point does it end? I've seen people seriously (I assume)
> suggesting here in the last few weeks that they variously don't
> consider the GPL, the BSD or MIT licenses free. If we're going to be
> that paranoid, why bother playing this game any more? If you take that
> attitude, we've lost already.

Are you just trying to troll? That's so out of the field that I don't
know where to start...

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |