Re: CeCILL again...

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 09:02:47AM +0100, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> > I think that it's fine to have licenses in other languages; I just think
> > that there should always be an authoritative license in English, too.
>
> I don't think that's acceptable as a general rule. The licence is
> binding on the licensor, who should not have to be bound by a text in
> a language that they don't understand properly.

The license is binding on the licensee, who should not have to be bound
by a text in a language that they don't understand properly.

(The only solution available to me, in that situation, is to not touch the
software.)

> In practice almost everyone relies to some extent on other people's
> opinion of the licence even when it's written in their own language.

The value of "to some extent" for a license in a different language is
an order of magnitude higher.  Also, the requirements that you know
English well enough to read licenses in order to fully understand your
rights to modify software in Debian is unavoidable.

--
Glenn Maynard