Re: CeCILL again...

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:48:59AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > This is also a more general issue: how do we deal with licenses that we
> > > can't read, in the general case?  We assume that Debian users can read
> > > English well enough to understand license grants, but we can't assume
> > > they understand French or other languages, too, and neither d-legal
> > > nor the ftpmasters can review such licenses properly--not just for
> > > freeness, but for legal distribution.  Even if we have one or two
> > > people who can read a given language fluently, the license still won't
> > > receive anything approaching the level of scrutiny it would receive
> > > with the whole list able to read it.

> > Agreed; I think at a minimum we need either a legally-binding license in
> > English, or an English translation vouched for by someone debian-legal
> > subscribers are willing to trust, to be able to make any determination
> > that a license is DFSG-free.

> I disagree on that. We just need a subset of debian-legal speaking that
> language, and if anyone else disagrees, well, they are free to learn the
> language in question, like we were all forced to learn english to participate
> in this :)

Except that we also need an ftpmaster to be able to follow the
discussions and make a final determination.

As much as I am in favor of Debian being accessible to people who don't
speak English, it's important that we have *some* lingua franca for core
matters, and English is this lingua franca.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer