Re: NEW ocaml licence proposal by upstream, will be part of the 3.08.1 release going into sarge.

Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> (To be clear, patch clauses are explicitly free, for obvious reasons--though
> as I've said I'd like that to change.  I think "you must patch, *and* you
> must permit me to incorporate your patches" goes beyond the DFSG exception.)

Right, but why? We have a set of freedoms that were chosen based on what
we felt we (and our users) needed. The requirement to provide a liberal
license to upstream is arguably obnoxious and somewhat unfair, but it
doesn't prevent either us or our users from being able to do anything
that we feel we ought to be able to do. The DFSG isn't about wanting
upstream to be nice to us - it's a set of freedoms that we require, and
as long as those freedoms are provided we should be happy.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org