Re: Web application licenses

Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> writes:

> Brian Thomas Sniffen writes:
>
>> The only way I know of to give a public performance of apache is to
>> rent a hall and read the source code from the stage.  Running the
>> program is not a public performance.  Why?  Because performance of
>> oratory, dance, puppetry, or music itself has creative expression.
>> Yoko Ono and William Shatner each sing "Lucy in the Sky" rather
>> differently from John and Paul.  You *can't* sing an unmodified song.
>
> I hope you are being facetious about reading the source code from a
> stage.

Yes.  For example, reading it *without* stage is also public performance.

> If not, I suggest you review the applicability of the limit on
> public performance to things such as audio bitstreams over a network
> and computer games installed on computers at Internet cafes.

I disbelieve that, without agreeing to some EULA forbidding it, I am
forbidden by copyright law to install a computer game in a public
place.  I might be wrong, but that sounds far enough out-there that
I'd want to see references.

On the other hand, I don't see how that's at all connected to the case
in question: use of software by network service, and whether it's Free
to require that source to such software be provided.

-Brian