Re: ocaml, QPL and the DFSG: New ocaml licence proposal.

Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:11:38AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 07:48:17PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>>
>>>  Moreover, we need these licenses to be recognized as open-source by
>>>  Debian and other authorities before even considering to use them.
>>
>>The problem you are going to end up with for this, though, is that there is
>>no authoritative English version of the licences.  The translation of the
>
> Bah, whatever, the first and only copy of this licence i have seen was in
> english, so what is the problem ?

Yes, there is an English translation.  That translation is
non-authoritative, and specifically states that "the French version is
authoritative".  Therefore, it is irrelevant if the English version is a
Free license, because that version is non-binding.  We would need to
specifically check the authoritative French version.

>>licence vetting process is what I've heard it is (trusting the drafting
>>lawyer's assertion that it's OK) you might be OK there, but I doubt
>>debian-legal is going to be able to discuss a licence without an
>>authoritative English version to work from.
>
> So, everybody here should learn french :)
>
> No, seriously, we have enough french speaking developers that this should not
> be a problem, and since there is an english translation (and as said, the
> first link i found was a 9 page or so english PDF), this should be no major
> problem. Also, i believe that this is one of the usefull input you could
> provide to the comittee developing those licences, don't you think.

I think that what we could do is this: get a couple of developers who
speak both French and English to read the authoritative French version
and the English version, and tell us "The translation is accurate".
debian-legal could then review the English version, and if there are any
ambiguities in wording, ask those developers for clarifications based on
the French version.  It's not ideal, but it would work.

- Josh Triplett