Re: ocaml, QPL and the DFSG: New ocaml licence proposal.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:26:42AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 02:05:28AM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 05:39:06PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > > Sven Luther wrote:
>
> Bah, i still don't believe that these two clause are really non-free. They may
> be a bother and everything, but not non-free accordying to the DFSG.
>
> Now, if you feel like solving problems in 5 minutes, could you please have a
> look at the unicode.data problem, which Sylvain Legal asked about here over 6
> month ago, and which didn't find an appropriate solution and has been in limbo
> since then, even though it seems many other packages carry it already in main.
>
> Sylvain, could you quickly recapitulate the issue, so Andrew can help solving
> it as he so nicely volunteered to do in 5 minutes ?

Hello,

Well, this problem has nothing to do with ocaml... But i can set this
problem once again :
- i have library which contains UnicodeData.txt
- copyright of upstream and package contains references to UCD ( you can
  find this licence here : http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html )
- the files UnicodeData.txt is only shipped in the source ( there is a
  program to transform into ocaml readable file )
- after having read -legal archive, and submitted my problem
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/01/msg00022.html, i am still
  waiting for a solution

To sum up, you told every one to wait for a release of a new miscfiles
containing up to date UnicodeData.txt. The latest release date from
October 2002.

I contact maintainer/upstream author who told me he was no more in
charge of this package...

Now, i am waiting for a solution...

Since, i begin to really need the package i am working on, it would be
really nice to be able to upload the package in his native form ( ie
without doing nasty replacement with files from other package ).

Is the current licence of this data, should be enough DFSG free to allow
a distribution in main ?

Kind regard
Sylvain Le Gall

ps : my question is a trap : python, perl et al already shipped the file
( i don't know for whom is it a trap : perl maintainer or -legal... good
luck perl maintainer )