Re: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 01:34:04PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> If we write the amendment as something like "A licence must not place undue
> cost or inconvenience on a licensee in order to comply with the licence"
> it's much broader and covers choice of venue as one of it's effects.  It
> also covers any other instance where the license can make it prohibitively
> expensive to actually take advantage of the freedoms granted.  DFSG #1 is
> interpreted in such a way as to be our defence against that, but it's not
> intuitive.  Unfortunately it has potential side-effects and doesn't
> necessarily make it clear enough that that's what's being prohibited.  For
> instance, "undue cost" could be argued to not apply for choice of venue
> because the cost involved is not undue.  On the other hand, compelled
> distribution of source (GPL) could be seen as an undue cost.  It's a very
> difficult line to get right.  Whatever we put in writing can be attacked by

It can help, though.  There are multiple discussions going on here:
1: "does DFSG#1 only prohibit fees, or other stuff, too?  What's a
fee?  Where's my dictionary?"; and 2: "is choice of venue an onerous
restriction?"  I believe #2 is the important question, and that #1 is
rules lawyering, a waste of time.  We might be able to reduce #1 with
modifications like these, making it clear that: no, this isn't a bright
line test, and yes, judgement is required.

I don't think these types of amendments are what David and Steve M have
in mind, though; I think they're aiming to reduce #2, as well, and that's
hard to do without either special cases, or new generalizations that may
backfire.

--
Glenn Maynard