Re: Termination clauses, was: Choice of venue

Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 09:15:44AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
>
>>>More clearly (according to my understanding), the resulting binary
>>>is--it pulls in pieces of readline--but the source is not.  (I'm not sure
>>>if this impacts your point, but it's an important distinction.)
>>
>>That's debatable.  If your program is written against a library, and
>>there is only one implementation of that library, I would argue that the
>>source is a derivative of the library as well.  Things get more complex
>>if there are multiple implementations, of course.
>
> LGPL clause 5 seems to express the FSF's view on this, which seems
> correct and reasonable to me:
>
> "  5. A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the
> Library, but is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or
> linked with it, is called a "work that uses the Library".  Such a
> work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and
> therefore falls outside the scope of this License.
>
>   However, linking a "work that uses the Library" with the Library
> creates an executable that is a derivative of the Library (because it
> contains portions of the Library), rather than a "work that uses the
> library".  The executable is therefore covered by this License.
> Section 6 states terms for distribution of such executables."

I see.  Thank you, that clarifies perfectly.

I had thought from previous GPL discussions that "distribute the source
and let users link it" was not a reasonable way to sidestep license
compatibility issues, because the source was still a derived work.  Does
this mean that one can distribute the source (or object files, even) of
a program that links to a GPLed library, and just let users link it?
That seems like a rather large loophole.

- Josh Triplett