Re: ocaml, QPL and the DFSG: QPL 6c argumentation.

Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 09:48:04AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
>
>>[Replying to this subthread but quoting a message from another
>>subthread, since this is a 6c argument, and I don't want to break the
>>subthread rules.]
>>
>>In Message-ID <[🔎] 20040723220245.GB21486@pegasos>, Sven Luther wrote:
>>
>>>If a licence says each time you use the software you have to write a
>>>postcard to a sick child, or only do it one time when you first get
>>>hold of it, this is a cost or fee or whatever that you have to pay
>>>when you install the software, and you can't legally work around it.
>>
>>OK.  First of all, I assume this would also apply if the postcard must
>>be sent to the upstream author, and if sending the postcard was required
>>for distribution, rather than use; would you agree?  Furthermore, if
>>sending the postcard was not required automatically, but only if the
>>author asks for one, this would still apply, right?
>>
>>If so, then how is "if you distribute a work that links to mine, you
>>must send me a postcard" a fee, but "if your work links to mine, you
>>must send me your work" not a fee?
>
> In the cost involved. If you send a postcard, it is costing something to you,
> even if it is a symbolic cost, and thus does constitute a fee (and we are
> against it because it can be an inconvenience in the first place, not because
> of the symbolic cost).
>
> Now, if i have to send you my work upon request, first i can charge for the
> cost of the source distribution, as per 6a. Second, and this is still a

Only if 6a applies; 6a only applies when someone who has a binary
requests source, which is not the case for your distribution to the
initial developer.

> dubious interpretation i would like clarification about from Trolltech,
> there is nothing saying i have to send upstream the binary for free. In this
> interpretation, clause 6c is merely saying that i have no right to deny a sale
> of the linked software to upstream.
>
> I think this is a doubtfull interpretation, since nothing is said of the
> price, and setting a really high price would void the possibility of upstream
> to get the software. The annotation also doesn't clarify it here :

I would tend to agree.  It makes no sense for it to be possible to
charge upstream an exorbitant fee to get the software.  I don't think
"you must supply one" implies that you may charge for it.

>    This is to avoid problems with companies that try to hide the source. If we
>    get to know about it we want to be able to get hold of the code even if we
>    are not users. In this way, if somebody tries to cheat and we get to know
>    we can release the code to the public.
>
> So, this may be a good point to go to my upstream and argue for the dropping
> of 6c altogether, altough i personally feel it is a nice touch, and would be a
> good thing for the furtherance of free software.

I think the intent behind it is reasonable, but it just goes too far.

- Josh Triplett