Re: RE-PROPOSED: The Dictator Test

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 12:28:24AM -0400, lex@cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:
> > If it makes you feel happier, consider the tests to be "proposed amendments
> > to the DFSG".  Do you feel that the dictator test does not reasonably
> > diagnose a non-free licence, or is your objection merely that it's not a
> > straightforward restatement of the DFSG?
>
> Good question.  I actually am not convinced the dictator test even
> describes non-freeness accurately.  I would be okay, for example, if the
> license says you must smile when you upload a new version, but since
> this has nothing to do with copyright it would fail the Dictator Test.

That's the perfect thing to talk about.

Firstly, having no basis in copyright means that a purely copyright licence
has no basis for compelling me to do it in and of itself.  The only thing
that compels me to do it is that otherwise I would lose the other
permissions granted.  That's basically blackmail -- "do this or I'll sue
you".

Where does it end, though?  If I say you must pet a cat when distributing
modifications, is that OK?  Probably, unless you don't own (or have access
to) a cat, or happen to be alergic to them.  What about if I require you to
self-flagellate whilst distributing modifications?  That's OK, too, if
you're a masochist, I guess.

Basically, the moment you introduce extra requirements beyond that which a
copyright holder is allowed to withold, you're straight into this slippery
slope of "look what I can make them do", which is, sooner or later, going to
rear up and bite you in the arse.

> As you may or may not have noticed, the properties of software I am
> interested in seeing Debian support are use, modification, and
> redistribution.  It bothers me to even use the word "free", because it
> tempts people to go overboard and start talking about freedom of speech
> and freedom of religion, etc.  While I don't *like* the smiles
> clause, I don't want Debian to bother with this kind of thing.

But only because it doesn't practically affect you.  But there are other
restrictions in a similar vein which *would* affect you.  Are you happy to
have those restrictions applied against you, as well?

- Matt