Re: RE-PROPOSED: The Dictator Test

lex@cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:
>>If it makes you feel happier, consider the tests to be "proposed amendments
>>to the DFSG".  Do you feel that the dictator test does not reasonably
>>diagnose a non-free licence, or is your objection merely that it's not a
>>straightforward restatement of the DFSG?
>
> Good question.  I actually am not convinced the dictator test even
> describes non-freeness accurately.  I would be okay, for example, if the
> license says you must smile when you upload a new version, but since
> this has nothing to do with copyright it would fail the Dictator Test.
> To convince me that the smiles requirement is non-free, you will have to
> convince me that this is sufficiently onerous to be a "fee".  I wouldn't
> reject it just because smiling has nothing to do with copyright, and
> I wouldn't reject it because people have a fundamental freedom to
> be grouches.

It falls in the same category as "you must pet a cat".  (DFSG FAQ at
http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html , point 12b.)  If you want a
more specific example, it would discriminate against people who are
unable to move their mouth, and who operate a computer only through an
eyetracker or similar device; therefore, it fails DFSG 5.

- Josh Triplett