Re: MySQL FOSS Exception

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:49:32 +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

> http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing/foss-exception.html
>
> A few programs link currently the old non-GPL libmysqlclient10 in order
> to retain compatibility with other free licenses which have known
> problems and require exceptions (e.g. openssl). AFAIK the new
> statement should allow all those program to link the current
> libmysqlclient instead. See proftpd-mysql for an example of such kind
> of programs.
>
> Comments?

Argh.  No, no, no.  This is the *old* statement, which is completely
useless for our purposes; it is not even DFSG compatible.  Note #3:

"The Derivative Work does not include or aggregate any part of the MySQL
Server (SQL Engine) or any modifications, translations or other
derivatives thereof,"

followed later on by:

"As used in this document, the term "include or aggregate" means to embed,
integrate, bundle, aggregate, link, distribute on the same media or in the
same packaging, provide with instructions to download or automate any of
the preceding processes."

The MySQL folks have a *new* statement, that should satisfy the DFSG, and
should be released w/ the next version of mysql.  In the meantime, you can
basically ignore their FOSS exception, because it's absolutely useless for
us.