Re: request-tracker3: license shadiness

On Jul 19, 2004, at 13:40, Branden Robinson wrote:

Provided the additional restriction did not fail the DFSG in and of itself, I don't see why such a license necessarily would fail the DFSG. We'd have
to judge this sort of situation on a case by base basis.

Unless -- we want to assert that all GPL-derived licenses used in Debian
must be GPL-compatible.  [...]

If that's the consensus view of this mailing list, I can go along with it,
[...]

Since the question is raised, I do not agree with making that assertion and I do not believe it to be the consensus of this list.

For example, if I were to make a new license, the Really Silly General Public License, following the procedure in the GPL FAQ, adding this term:

	If the program contains functionality designed to display its own
	name to the user then you must cause your modified version to
	display a different name unless you sacrifice a pig to Cthulhu.

it'd still be a free (though GPL-incompatible and silly) license. (Free because DFSG allows a license to require a rename; silly for obvious reasons)