Re: Summary : ocaml, QPL and the DFSG.

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 13:53, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> >Because privacy is an inherent right of Debian's users.  Further,
> >communication with others, and sharing useful information and tools
> >with them, should not have any impact on my privacy from you.
>
> Why is privacy an inherent right? Why does personal privacy outweigh the
> importance of modifications to free software being available to all?

Because you'd really think it sucks if we were to post video of you
taking a shit on the main Debian web site, and because we haven't seen
you volunteering your login information, SSN, bank account #s, etc. to
everyone else, either.  And even if you are some kind of pervert who
likes that kind of publicity, you're outnumbered by about 6 billion to
one.

I have yet to see anyone arguing against privacy but then agreeing to
furnish their banking details to the world.  Some form of privacy is
therefore desirable, and I fail to see how it is desirable that it NOT
be the default.

--
Stephen Ryan
Digital Rights Management is bad for all of us: