Re: Summary : ocaml, QPL and the DFSG.

Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>Because privacy is an inherent right of Debian's users.  Further,
>communication with others, and sharing useful information and tools
>with them, should not have any impact on my privacy from you.

Why is privacy an inherent right? Why does personal privacy outweigh the
importance of modifications to free software being available to all?

>Imagine a license which said that any changes, when distributed,
>should be sent to the US NSA for evaluation of possible terrorist
>intent.  Is such a license free?  We certainly don't want to support
>terrorists.  But is it OK to have a license which hurts them and
>scares[1] everybody else?  No, that's non-free.

If the license was "You must either provide these modifications to
everyone or you must provide them to the NSA", then no, I wouldn't have
any objection to that. I doubt I'd consider "You must provide these
changes to the NSA" acceptable unless the NSA got into the business of
distributing any software except their own. But, frankly, I haven't
thought about it too hard yet.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org