Re: ocaml & QPL : Clause 3b in question now.

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 02:50:29AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 11:43:31AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:51:46AM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> > > I'll get to the other two in a bit, but for now: you completely failed
> > > to address the non-freeness of 3b:
> >
> > Well, in the orginal summary, there was no mention of 3b, so ...
> >
> > >       b. When modifications to the Software are released under this
> > >       license, a non-exclusive royalty-free right is granted to the
> > >       initial developer of the Software to distribute your
> > >       modification in future versions of the Software provided such
> > >       versions remain available under these terms in addition to any
> > >       other license(s) of the initial developer.
> > >
> > > which allows the initial developer to take code I've written and
> > > distribute it in proprietary ways, even though I don't get that
> > > privilege with respect to his code.
> >
> > Notice the part about :
> >
> >   to distribute your
> >   modification in future versions of the Software provided such
> >   versions remain available under these terms in addition to any
> >   other license(s) of the initial developer.
> >
> > The change can only apply to future versions of the software, which are
> > released under the QPL, and may also be licenced under some other licence.
>
> And that other licence allows the initial developer to sell my
> modifications under another licence.  I don't get the ability to sell his
> modifications under another licence.  Doesn't seem real fair.

Well, and ? you distribute something under the BSD, someone use it and sells
it under a proprietary version, how is this fairer ? And how is it fairer as
applied to a modification i make to a BSDed work, which, not being fair
myself, i also put under the BSD ?

In any case, this is no reason for it to be DFSG non-free ?

> > Notice what the annotated QPL has to say about this :
>
> For anyone who may have missed my previous message (not you Sven, I know you
> wrote this before I wrote mine), the annotated QPL as written by Trolltech
> has no real effect unless Trolltech is the copyright holder.

Yes, i have been wondering about this too. Maybe adding the annotated version
of the licence would be a good idea.

> > > Why are you justifying INRIA's code hoarding in this way?
> >
> > Given this interpetation, and the fact that any proprietary change must also
> > appear in the QPLed version, how can you sustain claims of hoarding ?
>
> OK, how about code exploitation?  Unfair exploitation?  I'm not quite sure
> of the exact term I'm looking for, but it's not a positive one.  Unbalanced
> is close, but not quite right.

Well, i can't agree to this, but more on this later.

Friendly,

Sven Luther