Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> All users of the software are given the same license. The license
> itself does not discriminate against them; it does not say "no
> people on a desert island may use this" or similar.

I think you're limiting it to explicit discrimination, whereas I feel
it should apply to effective discrimination as well.

Since the DFSG itself doesn't distinguish between the two in that
clause, the latter is a perfectly reasonable interpretation.

> If other circumstances created by local law or coincidence are
> causing difficulties, then why is that a license problem?

Because it is the license itself is playing a large part in generating
the problem, as opposed to a local law or coincidence itself.

Don Armstrong

--
Nothing is as inevitable as a mistake whose time has come.
 -- Tussman's Law

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu