Re: GPL-compatible, copyleft documentation license

* Branden Robinson:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 12:33:22PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Branden Robinson:
>>
>> >   In the copyright holder's understanding, re-imposition of the
>> >   requirements of sections 2a and and 2c by those creating a derivative
>> >   work is not allowed, since those restrictions never attached to this
>> >   work; see section 6. This work can be combined with another work licensed
>> >   under the GNU General Public License, version 2, but any section 2a and
>> >   2c restrictions on the resulting work would only attach only due to the
>> >   copyright license on the work(s) with which this work is combined and for
>> >   which those restrictions are in force.
>>
>> Isn't this at least a bit self-contradicting?
>
> I don't think so.

You are trying to create a GPL-compatible license that explicitly
forbids relicensing under the GPL.  These two goals are in conflict.

> What problem(s) do you think there would be in licensing the work in
> question[1] under the straight GNU GPL?

> What applicability do you suggest clause 2c) has to things that
> can't "read commands interactively when run", because it's not a
> program?

None, and that's my point.  The clause is completely without effect
because it only applies to programs which run interactively.
Obviously, documentation is not a program that runs interactively, so
documentation always fulfills this condition.

Furthermore, I don't understand the reason for preventing someone from
reintroducing the 2c) clause with respect to the work in a derivative
work which happens to be an interactive computer program.  If you
remove this restriction, a lot of complexity goes away.

>> Your license doesn't give me permission to publicly perform the work,
>> or to broadcast it.
>
> True enough.  Neither does the GNU GPL.  Why is this not a problem for the
> GNU GPL?

The GPL was designed to be applied to computer programs.  A license
explicitly labeled as "documentation license" should address this
issue.

>> It doesn't deal with moral rights at all (which
>> are quite important in some jurisdictions when it comes to
>> non-programs).
>
> True enough.  Neither does the GNU GPL.  Why is this not a problem for the
> GNU GPL?

The GPL was designed to be applied to computer programs.  A license
explicitly labeled as "documentation license" should address this
issue.

>> It doesn't special-case distribution of printed copies, which means that
>> the GPL provisions apply.  These provisions pretty much rule out
>> small-scaleprinting and redistribution because of the "valid for at least
>> three years" rule.
>
> True enough.  Neither does the GNU GPL.  Why is this not a problem for the
> GNU GPL?

The GPL was designed to be applied to computer programs.  A license
explicitly labeled as "documentation license" should address this
issue.

>> However, the license does clarify what constitutes source code, but this
>> might also be a further restriction in the GPL sense, making the license
>> incompatible with the GPL.
>
> What's your reasoning?  If someone transforms the document into an
> executable program, they have likely changed the preferred form of
> modification for the work.  Nothing in the GNU GPL forbids them from doing
> so, and my clarification doesn't either.

Something might be labeled as source code even if it isn't.  But you
are right, this is not a problem related to the clarification.