Re: GPL-compatible, copyleft documentation license

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 02:27:53PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS:
> > To me it seems potentially useful to release licensees from those
> > requirements.
>
> I agree, but at the same time, Branden explicitly forbids to
> re-introduce these requirements, creating the GPL compatibility issue.

Anything independently copyrighted and licensed under the GNU GPL can be
combined with this work.

Furthermore, any independently copyrightable modifications can be placed
under the GNU GPL and this combined.

> > As I understand it moral rights are not portable in the way that
> > copyright is, so it might not even be possible to deal with moral
> > rights without hiring a huge international team of lawyers and
> > producing a multilingual licence the size of a small book.
>
> Creative Commons is doing this already, so why not use their efforts?

Because their efforts are not DFSG-free, and they left a bad taste in my
mouth the last time I read them.

> > I don't think that's a huge problem in practice. If you tell the
> > people to whom you give the hard copy that they must download the
> > source within the next 48 hours, then that probably counts as giving
> > them the source.
>
> This is not GPL-compatible, and not comptible with Branden's license.

Offering them a copy at the time you distribute the binary is compatible
with both.  If they decline, your obligation to them is released.

> > If you're selling the hard copies then you can probably afford to
> > include a CD.
>
> I don't think there are affordable self-publishing deals that also
> include CD production, but I could be wrong.

Keep in mind that it's not exactly challenging to represent (X)HTML and CSS
on paper, given that they're plain text.  (Granted, this would drive the
page count and corresponding cost up.  But it's not *challenging*.)

This argument holds less water for binary document source formats.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      "I came, I saw, she conquered."
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      The original Latin seems to have